PM Storybooks Upgrade for Windows 7
Published: Tuesday, 05 January 2010 11:49
If you have upgraded your PC to Windows 7, or if you have recently installed PM Storybooks on your Windows 7 PC, you may get an error message saying that the PM Storybooks software is incompatible with Windows 7.
To upgrade your PM Storybooks software, click on the appropriate link(s) below to download the patch. The patch is in the form of a ZIP file. When the patch is downloaded to your PC, double-click the ZIP file to open it. Then copy all the files in it to your PM Storybooks installation folder (usually C:\GREYGUM\PM by default), replacing old versions when prompted.
The patch is not a full installation. You need to have the old software already installed on the target PC before you patch it. If the old software is not already on the target PC you have a number of options available to get it there...
1. Firstly, try installing from the original CDs. A lot of the earlier CDs have a 32-bit installer, even though the Storybooks software is only 16-bit. That means that the installation will work, but when it finishes it tries to run the Storybooks software, which fails. That looks like the installation has failed when in fact it hasn't. In this case, you can go ahead and patch the installed software, as described above.
2. However, if the CD has a 16-bit installer, you will get the 64-bit compliance error message straight away, and you can't go down that path. So, if you still have the Storybooks software installed on another PC, patch that installation and copy the patched folder onto your new PC. You will have to organise your own shortcuts to the software at that point because copying is not the same as an installation.
3. If you don't have the Storybooks software on an older PC, then the only course left to you is to use your CDs to install it on an older PC, patch it and copy it to the new PC.
4. If all the above fails, you still have recourse to our generous upgrade policy.
When you run the software the first time, you may get an error message to the effect that THREED32.OCX is not registered, or missing. In that case, you'll need to register the newly installed OCX files. To do that, go to All Programs, Accessories, and RIGHT-CLICK on Command Prompt. Choose "Run as Administrator". Then at the command prompt, type...
regsvr32 c:\greygum\pm\threed32.ocx <enter>
regsvr32 c:\greygum\pm\mci32.ocx <enter>
regsvr32 c:\greygum\pm\picclp32.ocx <enter>
regsvr32 c:\greygum\pm\comdlg32.ocx <enter>
The PM Storybooks software and bonus applications should then work correctly. Please report any problems to our support team .
PM Storybooks Red Level 3.10 Upgrade
PM Storybooks Yellow Level 3.10 Upgrade
PM Storybooks Blue Level 3.10 Upgrade
PM Storybooks Green Level 3.10 Upgrade
PM Story Books
Published: Thursday, 14 June 2007 11:25
For beginning readers, here's innovative software that provides support and encouragement to make reading a rewarding experience.
Years K to 2
The PM Story Books Software offers many useful features, including:
- stories read in clear speech with Australian accents;
- the ability to hear individual words spoken aloud simply by clicking on them;
- simple word games using the vocabulary from each story;
- a facility to enable children to write their own versions of the stories, hear them read aloud by the computer, and print them;
- the ability to set up the software to suit students' individual needs;
- a tracking option which allows teachers to monitor how long each student has spent on each activity; and
- two extra learning activities included on each CD.
It provides a clearly spoken reading of each story, and many related activities.
Children can listen to the stories while looking at the text and illustrations on the screen. They can also click on an individual word to hear it spoken. Stories are spoken clearly in an Australian accent. A different voice is used for single words. This makes it ideal for ESL and special needs students, too.
Older children can write their own stories based on the illustrations provided. Their stories can be read aloud by the computer at any stage and, if required, printed.
Treasure! is a variation of the ever-popular "Hangman" game, in which the computer speaks the mystery word. Words are chosen from the current story, or (at the teacher's discretion) from another story or from composite wordlists of many stories.
Slide is another word game included with the software. In this game the mystery word is spoken, then children must spell it sequentially. As with all the activities, the teacher can adjust the game to suit the student.
Using the illustrations and text from the PM Library books, the Cloze exercises offer a simple and educationally sound way for children to apply their reading skills. In the simpler exercise, they choose the correct word from the alternatives shown. Harder exercises for older children require the child to type in the missing word.
Powerful Teacher Controls
Teachers have considerable control over which features and which books are made available to each child, and the degree of difficulty. Teachers can, if they wish, provide different settings for each child to suit individual needs. The teacher can, optionally, keep track of each child's progress. The computer can maintain a log of how long each child spent on each activity or story.
Package includes CD suitable for both Windows and Macintosh. This software has been updated for use with Mac OS X and Windows 7 64-bit. The original Macintosh version is "Classic" only and not suitable for use on Intel Macs. The original Windows version is 16-bit and not suitable for use on Windows 7.
Please use this facility only if you want delivery within Australia, where the freight and tax charges are fixed. You don't need a PayPal account, just a credit card.
If you want delivery outside Australia, or you are an educational institution and prefer to be invoiced, just email us your order and we'll contact you for payment and shipping details.
PM Story Books - Single User
$198.00 (inc GST)
PM Story Books - Site Licence
$396.00 (inc GST)